The eggplant is great with asparagus added. I also like to steam cubes of silken tofu, place them in the bottom of the serving bowl,...Read more
Noma at Rockpool
Last Thursday, we were privileged (and lets be honest, a little humbled) to host Rene Redzepi and his chefs from Noma at Rockpool Bar & Grill Melbourne. A lucky bunch sat down to an amazing 7 course lunch that lead us from Aebleskivers (good luck with that one) to Fig and hazelnut tart.
We have had the good fortune of having Rene in our restaurants before and we are fans. A gentleman, an incredible chef (best in the world they reckon!), a perfectionist and general all round good guy. His crew are just the same and it’s a pleasure to watch them in action.
As part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival, the lunch was small on the scale of things – a tidy 50, just a good number to really be able to do things well, unpressured…perfect.
Here’s the run down…
– These are a spherical Danish doughnut, spongy , lightly spiced with cardamom and with a smoked marrow flavour . Totally interesting
– A bit of a modern Rockpool classic from George St and often served with lobster, one of our most revered dishes of recent times
– The squid was creamy with the flavour of the sea; acidic, wood-like, citric juice and some notes of saltiness from cured sloe berries
– A match made in fine dining heaven
– These had a grassy, cereal like base, the scallops were dried and lightly sweet
Red braised pork with saltbush and Warrigal greens (Rockpool)
– Big fans of threes native greens at the moment and perfect with the rich sweet flavours of the red braise
Fig ands hazelnut tart with white clover honey mousse (Rockpool)
– Simple. Catherine Adams at her divine sweet best!